Sunday, November 25, 2007

Hm. Been Awhile

New things: Mom's and sister's birthdays; Thanksgiving goings-on; saw Beowolf in 3D.

Birthdays weren't very exciting, but pleasant enough. Thanksgiving didn't end up in its usual location at my grandmother's due to her feeling ill, so the holiday was held at my parents' place this year. My cousins and I played lots of Live Halo 3, and that also was good.

As to Beowolf: If I hadn't already seen Shrek, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, and Lord of the Rings' Gollum, I would have been extremely impressed by the animation alone. But as I had seen all of those, it wasn't that big a deal. As a matter of fact, in not having real-life actors, I think the movie lost a bit of realism and depth. The three-dimensional aspect was the only thing that made the movie worth seeing, but even then there were some points were the dimension wasn't at all convincing. It was rather like having paper cutouts with rounded edges, an animation without anything deeper than what the audience was seeing on the surface. It was nice, but I think the animators were trying to pull something off in terms of realism which wasn't quite within their grasp.

I give the movie three-point-five of five stars, for good effort and the talent of Neil Gaiman, whose literary portrayers should stick to graphic novels.

As for the cell phone thing, we're still trying to work out the shipment of a new phone with the online sellers. We've already received two cell phones, the first of which had a bent shell, and the second of which had flawed programming. So far we haven't heard back about the shipment of a third. I'm of the opinion that they should give it to us for half price, but maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment