Monday, June 04, 2007

Reviewing Some Stuff, Because I Feel Like It

We're now watching the Chronicles of Narnia, even though I've seen it more than enough times for my lifetime. Also I've read the book too many times to think of the movie as a completely different adventure from the book, so as a result I can't see the movie without comparing the two versions. And while the movie is good, I think the books preserve a certain character of childlike adventure that I grew up loving and still adore (which is likely why I love books like Tom Sawyer and Peter Pan). The movie does not do this at all. It tries to make the story of Light and Hope Combating Monsters more dark than it should be. The movie lessens the sense of innocence and childlike faith that's in the books to almost nil. Maybe I'm just prejudiced. I love the soundtrack, though. CoN gets 4 of 5 stars, mostly for great special effects and for Georgie Henley.

I just saw The Illusionist recently. I have to admit it is exactly my type of movie: one isn't certain what is real and what is pretend until the end, and there's enough fantasy and somehow-noble-duplicity mixed in to give the whole movie a fascinating undertone. I have yet to read the short story that it was loosely based off of, but I'll see if I can't find it (or an anthology containing it). For the moment, this movie has become one of my favorites. 4 1/2 of 5 stars.

My sister wants to see Flushed Away again. I think it's a funny movie, but there's a bit too much American comedy in what should be a British comedy. Perhaps not entirely, but my penchant for British comedy (Monty Python and Spike Milligan are weak spots for me) completely sways me. Plus the story happens in England, anyways. Very nice animation, though, and some of the lines and jokes off of other movies are worth a few good chuckles. 3 1/2 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment