Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Earthly Advancement

The beginner's drawing course so far has proved enormously basic for my artistic sensibilities. So today I collected some of my past works and went to my teacher (late, I might add - my alarm had been set on a silenced cell phone, unfortunately) to inquire as to my inappropriate placement. Being a man of few words as he is, he looked over my work and murmured a "Good" or two where he felt necessary. The only reason I know he was actually impressed with my work is that he asked me questions about certain works I had done, especially with my black-on-white computer illustrated work. He also asked me more than once if what I drew was from my head or from a model. I insisted that most of what I did was without reference of any kind, to which he replied that, "If you really don't look at anything to do these, they're really good."

I tried very hard to take offense, but I really can't. He doesn't know me or what I do... if I were him I wouldn't believe me either, though I might have been a little more tactful about my skepticism. It's okay. I'll prove to him what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment