Friday, May 02, 2008

Iron Man Review

Just finished Iron Man. This tale of weirdness begins when a young sorceress has an argument with a headstrong sailor.

Okay, just kidding. But you've got to admit, the plot is pretty flimsy - who wants to sell insanely hi-tech weaponry to some backyard, dime-a-dozen terrorists? And to what, shift the balance of power? I mean, come on. Aside from that, Robert Downey Jr. is a fantastic actor and performed wonderfully. The effects were great, and I even liked Gwyneth Paltrow (who I wasn't holding out much hope for). Jeff Bridges, however, needs to stay away from these kinds of roles. He doesn't do the whole "comic-book villain" very well, especially when it comes to the predictable good-vs.-evil monologue at the end. Just no, Bridges... you can do better than that.

On the other hand, I loved the cinematography, the directing was good, and there were some really great moments. Not the most fantastic movie ever, but certainly one of the best superhero movies I've seen so far. But then, the only good ones I've seen so far have been Hellboy and X-Men. I haven't liked the Fantastic 4s, the Spidermans, Batman Begins, or Smallville. I didn't even bother seeing Punisher or Superman Returns. (Did I miss any...?)

I like Ghost Rider, but not because it's good. It actually sucked, but I find myself watching it repeatedly anyway. Just shallow entertainment, I suppose.

Oh! The Incredibles. That movie was amazing. There is no getting around that one; it was too great. Good old clean fun. I wish they would make a really good sequel, but I just don't see that happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment