Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Technological Advancement

I have new laptop! Bweee, go me!

I am now the proud owner of a Gateway M-6309. While apparently not a very popular notebook, it is actually very nice quality. Good resolution, lightweight, thin, a gig of ram, and some great media capability. Wifi, of course. I'm really enjoying having a laptop of my own... now all I have to do is remember that I don't own it, and it's not really mine, and I'll be fine. *sigh*

(Image will go here when I take a picture of it, as there are no images to be found online! Jeez...)

In other news, I had a singing lesson today. Recently, I've felt really frustrated in my singing. There are some places where I know I need to get better, but I don't know how to fix it, or even if I'm really hearing it right in the first place. And it's especially hard to hear some advanced people on all sides of me with wonderful volume and better pitch than I've got, and here I am feeling totally inadequate in an advanced singing class. Not good.

I didn't realize the intensity of emotion I felt about this until I started crying about it in front of the teacher. It really was hard to try and contain the emotion and listen to what he was telling me. Once he saw the source of my frustration he assured me that the advanced skills I have are totally usable, the places where I'm failing completely fixable, and my quieter singing voice utterly understandable.

So apparently, I have some pretty advanced techniques as a singer, especially considering my young age. But because I don't have some of the more basic skills, I am incapable of using the advances ones effectively. Thus all the frustration I've been feeling about my singing. So now I've established with my teacher that I need to work on a) correct breathing (which is a helluva lot harder than it sounds), b) pitch finding on the keyboard, and c) relative pitches (the distance between pitches).

It's a really good thing I've a passion for singing, and that I'm stubborn. Otherwise I'd be dropping out.

Currently reading: The Lair of the White Worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment