Monday, October 13, 2008

Briefly Speaking

It's strange

I'd like to sleep...
I'd love to sleep...

I'm so very tired

Tired...

But not sleepy.

I close my eyes
And rest my head
And my mind busies itself

Restlessly self-defeating
My own best intentions

My body cannot remain
Comfortable
I twist and turn
On my usually comfortable mattress

Can I yet sleep?
I am so tired...

My mind must eventually stop

My thoughts must eventually meld
Into the bizarre dreams
And strange images
Which the brink of sleep lends them.

But not yet.
Not until my mind has exhausted itself
Run itself into the ground
Never listening to my own body

Please, stop, it entreats
And my mind listens not
But runs its own course
Robbing me of rest
Of peace and of healing

Can I yet sleep?
I am so very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment