Monday, October 13, 2008

Of Actors and Auditioning

I had an audition on Friday evening to be in the play It's a Wonderful Life, the production by a local church. For my audition I found a really cute little poem I read aloud (and need to memorize):
“A Puzzle”, by Margaret Eytinge

Old Nathan was out in the garden
One beautiful flower-sweet day,
When Dorothy, golden-haired maiden,
Came pensively wandering that way.
“And isn’t this very fine weather?
I never saw finer,” said he,
But she made reply, “Why, I think it
As cheerless a morn as could be.”
“As cheerless?” repeated old Nathan,
Half in doubt he had heard her right,
Then he muttered, “She’s daft,” for he knew not
She had quarreled with Robert last night.

The day was departing; its sunshine
Had vanished; the wind whistled shrill;
The birds hurried home to their nestlings,
And the air grew quite heavy and chill.
The gardener hastened to shelter
His tender young plants, when again
Dolly passed him – this time with light footsteps –
And she called in the merriest strain,
“Oh! isn’t the weather just lovely?”
While her face fairly shone through the mist.
“She’s daft,” said old Nathan – he knew not
The lovers had met and had kissed.

Yes. Completely adorable. Well, a friend of mine (who auditioned soon after me) is good friends with the director, who is apparently the father of his best friend... and he says the director said that he "enjoyed me", which, despite its capacity for double entendre, is a very good sign. I should hear back within the next week on whether or not I got a part, though I've been informed that "there's a good possibility", which is heartening.

As for the audition itself, I believe I really do have a bit of the acting bug, so to speak. I almost expected myself to be entirely nervous about auditioning, but, quite honestly, I was merely excited. I wanted the opportunity to take my neat little poem and go to the front of the room and show it off to my three-person-audience. I was really very happy about it. My body still shook while I was performing, but the reaction didn't reach my emotions... as a matter of fact I was annoyed at my body for betraying what I considered a positive and fun experience.

Anyways. In short, we'll see how this pans out. I'm really very happy about this. Even if I don't get the part, I liked auditioning so much that I'm willing to try it some more.

As a completely irrelevant side note, my birthday is in 69 days. For the first time in years I find myself counting down the days. I think someone should throw me a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment